From fatigue to fantastic


In 2016 I was struggling with teaching, a secondary school PE teacher who couldn’t even
put the trampoline out never mind demonstrate moves. I was also teaching sports
massage but I was hurting through fingers, wrists, elbows. I was also part of the medical
team at my local rugby club. Cold rugby pitches were awful places when everything was
hurting and I could not get myself warm.
I found more and more that I was not able to dress myself easily, I was collapsing in
lessons, being driven home on multiple occasions. Reading and writing became
challenging if I was over tired, the futon was where I spent many a night in order that I
could give my husband a better night’s sleep. I was in pain and discomfort most nights
and struggled to feel refreshed enough to get up in the morning.
A lot of this will resonate with a lot of people. I was determined that I would recover
from this quickly and carry on with teaching, being a wife and mum, running marathons
and being fit and active. My body had other plans and I realised a lot needed to change.
And mostly for the better.
After being signed off work for a good long while my GP suggested a local charity – Salus
Fatigue Foundation. That one chance comment from her was, I believe, an integral part
of me being the happier, healthier person I am today – on my road to recovery. The
diagnosis of Fibromyalgia and Joint Hypermobility Syndrome meant I had something I
could work towards recovering from.
Initially I signed up for an amazing 9-week nutrition course with Salus - such sensible tips
and suggestions. Those two hours a week made life changes. And not just for me but for
my husband and son as well as friends and family, a great ripple effect. Myth busting
about which fats are good for you, how much water you need to function at your
optimum, ways to hydrate that will get you feeling alive, ideas for shopping, growing,
cooking that are gentle on tired and achy bodies. My diet became far more plant based,
organic and as such far more colourful and tasty. Breakfast no longer came in a box;
lunches weren't surrounded by two pieces of bread. I bought a dehydrator, a juicer, on
low energy days I could have one of my batch cooked meals that I kept in the freezer for
just such events.
What a wonderful Christmas present I treated myself to. Weekly doses of common sense,
social interaction, superb nutritional advice and a good laugh along the way too.
I have been able to continue with my hugely beneficial meditation in support sessions
which is such a vital part of calming the mind and finding a bit of balance in this busy
world. I have been for a group walk that was energising in the gentlest way possible. I
have been able to focus on moving forward whilst feeling very well supported.
The professionalism, approachability and commitment of all staff is exactly what you
need when you are trying to work out what is going on with the person you once were.
You feel welcomed and nurtured from the moment you walk in. I love this place for
helping me to heal and be a better me.


Part One of the jigsaw of me was starting to be put into place. Now for Part Two.
My GP and rheumatologist also suggested my exercise regime was not at all suitable to
my condition. Running, hill reps, marathons, road and trail running, road bike etc were
not on the cards for the foreseeable future and this was a real shock to me, a real punch
in the face. The obvious question of “so what do I do now?” was met with “things like
Tai Chi and yoga”. So I gave it a go. I found my nearest Central Tai Chi class, a 5 minutes
(slow) walk from my house at Sutton Coldfield's Cancer Support Centre. I was met by
Steve and a classful of gently moving ladies and gentlemen. It was movement, it was
exhausting and I loved it. In summer 2016 I started repeating the same simple
movements over and over. Sometimes I couldn’t complete the class due to mental and
physical exhaustion. But my shoulder girdle was now increasing in its range of
movement. I was no longer limited to not quite reaching the top of my head, I could
balance my pearl on my hand and take it up and over my head. And it felt wonderful.

It was eye opening to this once PE teacher that the enjoyment and benefit of movement
could be so beautiful and so simple. Malcolm and Malcolm then took the helm (and
sometimes the mickey) and I remembered more, moved more, lasted longer, increased
my range of movement. I was welcomed by all of the lovely pupils so the sense of social
isolation that can come with having a chronic condition was greatly reduced, I found my
love of movement again and I felt like me, a newer me now with Tai Chi in my life.
So my recipe for health is the 4 Ms –Movement, Mindfulness, Massage and Meals.
Without Salus Fatigue Foundation and Central Tai Chi I would not be as far down the
road to recovery as I am now. Thank you and Namaste.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.

How do you start to meditate